Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Local delights / comfort food!

Went to Newton Circus hawker centre for dinner after going to the dentist today since it was only a few minutes car ride away.

Despite the humidity Singapore is all too familiar with, I forgot all about the uncomfortable weather as soon as the food reached my lips ;) I can vouch for the fact that this food, although unpretentious and is without any frills, is better than most 3-michelin star restaurants could ever dish up! (surely this has been proven by the Hawker food challenge between our local hawkers and Gordon Ramsay) - I probably wouldn't have said this a little over 2 years ago, but ever since living abroad, I've come to appreciate Singapore's local delights! Getting to savor hawker meals, even if it's served on a styrofoam plate, is now a treat to me :)


it might be a shock to some but this is my first time trying cockles / see ham! I'm usually quite wary of eating this as I'm afraid of running the risk of contracting hepatitis, but now that I've a vaccination to prevent against it, I can! hahah

Orh luak! (oyster omelet)
so good when dipped into the chilli sauce!

Hokkien mee

Rojak with cuttlefish on the top!

Also had stingray but I forgot to take a picture of it as I was too wrapped up in eating! my bad!

Especially after living abroad, I've come to realize that Singapore is so lucky to be able to have a hawker culture - yummy food at inexpensive prices! 
Hope this post inspires you to make a trip to your local hawker centre to appreciate some of our local treats!


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment